The Westbury clinic in Johannesburg was left without electricity after it was tampered with the facility’s main power cable said the health and social development department on Wednesday.
The clinic’s operating manager said in a statement he saw an unknown man running from the building on Tuesday afternoon after a loud blow noise was heard. He also noted smoke from the same direction as the bang.
“The fire brigade was called for precaution and the patients were evacuated. It was a relief to know that there was no fire and the smoke was of wires that burned when the cables were cut, “the department added.
Due to damage to the main power cable, the generator, which serves as backup, could not be switched on.
Services at the clinic have been temporarily suspended and all vaccines have been sent to a nearby clinic for storage.
City Power is working to restore power to the clinic.
Protea South Clinic in Soweto also experiences power cuts due to residents i