Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo is on record calling for people to get screened for early detection of cancers.
And late last month, the national and provincial health departments launched a cancer campaign to educate people that many cancers were preventable or could be “successfully” treated through early detection and timeous treatment.
However, more concerns about the KwaZulu-Natal oncology crisis have been raised by advocacy groups after revelations that the waiting period for a mammogram screening is currently more than six months.
At least four women have told the Daily News that they will undergo screening between May 9 and 16 next year. Three said they had gone to uMlazi’s Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Hospital “some months ago” concerned about lumps in their breasts, and to their shock were told to return in May next year for mammograms.
The fourth woman had since been told at Port Shepstone Regional Hospital that she had cancer.
A mentally disturbed patient was found with burns after being locked alone in a ward in the Wentworth Hospital in Durban, said the IVP.
Ncamisile Nkwanyana, the IVP’s health spokeswoman in KwaZulu-Natal, said urgent action should be taken against medical staff who neglect mental-disturbed patients in health care institutions.
“The neglect of such patients is a serious concern. Misconduct, incompetence and negligence do not belong in our healthcare system and there must be drastic action against anyone convicted of it. ”
Nkwanyana believes the nurses concerned should be suspended and their actions are being investigated, and if found guilty, they must be fired because “a lack of empathy may not be tolerated in our healthcare system”.
She says the IFP is concerned about the absence of professionalism in health care institutions and observes a collapse of the professional healthcare sector, especially in public institutions.
In a letter to the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for Ocean Exploration and Drilling off the East Coast of South Africa, proposed by the Italian Petroleum Company ENI, SAFFR has raised some serious Environmental Concerns which seem to be ignored. The concerns which were sent to various interested parties including, SASOL, Italian Minister for the Environment, SA.. Continue reading…
Members of Reaction Unit South Africa have arrested an indian male for Bestiality after he was found having sex with a female cat in Buffelsdraai near Verulam in KwaZulu-Natal. The RUSA Operations Center received a call from a female at approx 14:10 (Friday) who informed the Controller on Duty that her nieghbour was having sex.. Continue reading…
Land allocated to local communities after land claim is now the focus of a dispute between the owners, the state and the Ingonyama Trust of Zwelithini. After several lands claim has been granted, the 30 owners of 11,000 hectares of land, worth R3 billion, want to sell it to the ANC-government for R760 million. This.. Continue reading…
How the Zulu king’s daughter qualified for low cost government housing is currently under scrutiny. The building was reportedly meant as a “show” house for a R64 million project that will see 1,000 poor people benefit from accommodation equipped with two bedrooms, an open-plan lounge and kitchen, a bathroom and an outside water tank.
Two senior sources involved in the housing scheme told Sunday Times that 28-year-old princess Nqobangothando Zulu has become the project’s first beneficiary after receiving one of the houses, each of which costs almost R130,000.
This has led to questions, as the houses are meant for married people or people with dependants, and the princess herself is still a dependant.
Royal spokesperson Thulani Zulu claims he has not heard of the princess receiving the house.
He said the building was on the palace grounds so that the king could keep an eye on the quality of the project, which he hoped would be of better quality than m Continue reading…
A farm attack has taken place in Bergville, KZN Province on 9 October 2018. Six men wearing police uniforms who were heavily armed entered the farm giving a false reason to farmer for their visit. They then stole firearms and demanded money and fled in a silver jeep and toyota. It has been reported that.. Continue reading…
Die spooragentskap Prasa het alle spoor bedrywighede in Natal gestaak na vandalisme en meer as R8 miljoen se skade by die Umlazi stasie deur meer as 1 000 oproermakers, terwyl vier voertuie in Durban aan die brand gesteek is.
Volgens plaaslike regering woordvoerders is daar ‘n element van misdaad, vandalisme, diefstal, trein kapings en aanranding van personeel in Natal.
Alvorens die veiligheid van personeel en passasiers nie gewaarborg kan word nie, sal daar geen spoor bedrywighede in Natal wees nie.
Die polisie het ‘n verdagte voertuig op die N2 buite Nyoni probeer aftrek waarop ‘n skietery tussen die verdagtes en die polisie gevolg het. Beide verdagtes is gedood en ongelisensieerde wapens is in die voertuig gevind.
Die negatiewe wat egter uit statistiek blyk is dat by ‘n polisiestasie in Natal daar slegs twee skuldigbevindings plaasgevind het uit die 74 moord ondersoeke verlede jaar. Slegs 42 sake het die hof gehaal terwyl verkragtingsyfers toon dat uit 151 sake slegs vyf skuldigbevindings plaasgevind het. Die totale skuldigbevindings in die KwaDukuza polisie gebeid staan op 1,4%.
A case of carjacking has been opened after hijackers pointed a firearm at a 45-year-old man and fled with his 4-year-old child on Saturday morning.
The man, who was understood to be driving a Golf 7, was hijacked when he had stopped at a traffic light in New Germany, on the corner of Dinkelman and Shepstone Road. Four armed men pointed him with firearms, police said.
Police said they were unable to disclose the identity of the child or her father “at this stage”.
Provincial police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele said the incident happened at about 7.15am on Saturday.
“A 45-year-old male was with his four-year-old daughter in his VW Golf stationary at the traffic lights on the corner of Dinkelman and Shepstone Roads when a vehicle with four occupants stopped next him, pointed at him with firearms. They allegedly forced him out of his vehicle and sped off with his daughter inside,” said Mbele.
The leadership of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal believes the party should not act against former president Jacob Zuma over his endorsement of Black First Land First (BLF) outside court last weekend. Continue reading…
The DA in KwaZulu-Natal on Sunday renewed its call for Health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo to be fired, saying it appears he is “trying to put a band aid on a large gaping wound” in respect of the province’s oncology crisis.
The DA had been advised by the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) that Dhlomo had met the latest in a series of deadlines in terms of its recommendations required to address the province’s cancer crisis, DA MPL Imran Keeka said.
This followed the SAHRC’s release of a damning report in June which found Dhlomo and his department guilty of violating the rights of KwaZulu-Natal cancer patients by failing to provide proper access to treatment.
Keeka said the DA had received a copy of the MEC’s submissions from the SAHRC, which the party was currently assessing.
“On the face of it, it appears that the MEC is trying to put a band aid on a large gaping wound, with the proposals providing little in the way of concrete steps to Continue reading…