Die staking by die San Michele-tehuis in Brakpan is vir eers opgeskort nadat “een van die pasiënte dood is”, het Ellen Bodoza, woordvoerder van die National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (Nupsaw), gesê. Dié vakbond verteenwoordig die stakers.
Bodoza het Maandag gesê hul lede het by die tehuis vir psigiatriese en gestremde pasiënte gestaak en ’n 6%-loonverhoging geëis.
Die staking het Vrydag begin.
“Hoewel die loonverhoging deur die departement van gesondheid goedgekeur is, het die bestuur geweier om dit te aanvaar. Ons lede is vroeër ingelig oor die sterfte en die staking is intussen opgeskort,” sê Bodoza.
Sy kon nie bevestig of die werkers vandag sal terugkeer werk toe nie.
Intussen sê Marius Bosman, bestuurder van dié tehuis vir psigiatriese en gestremde pasiënt dat die stakers kan nie geblameer word vir die dood van die pasiënt nie.
“Sy was verstandelik erg gestremd en op die oomblik wil ons nie te vinnig reag Continue reading…
Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo is on record calling for people to get screened for early detection of cancers.
And late last month, the national and provincial health departments launched a cancer campaign to educate people that many cancers were preventable or could be “successfully” treated through early detection and timeous treatment.
However, more concerns about the KwaZulu-Natal oncology crisis have been raised by advocacy groups after revelations that the waiting period for a mammogram screening is currently more than six months.
At least four women have told the Daily News that they will undergo screening between May 9 and 16 next year. Three said they had gone to uMlazi’s Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Hospital “some months ago” concerned about lumps in their breasts, and to their shock were told to return in May next year for mammograms.
The fourth woman had since been told at Port Shepstone Regional Hospital that she had cancer.
The ANC has no cure for the sickly state of health care in the Free State. Year after year the Auditor General (AG) diagnoses the Free State Department of Health with a serious case of poor leadership, mismanagement and maladministration. Year after year, the people of the Free State see no improvement in health care.
The AG’s audit outcome for the Department for the period of 2017 to 2018 indicates:
Irregular expenditure of R820 million (R596 million in 2016-2017).
Fruitless expenditure of R3,1 million (R900 000 in 2016-2017).
Unauthorised expenditure of R141 million (R68 million in 2016-2017).
An example of the poor management is the Department’s appointment of a local service provider that was outsourced to address health care challenges. The service provider was supposed to use the Department’s mobile clinics to focus on efficiency, coverage, specialisation and value for money.
The service provider was paid R24 million (R945 per patient) to do t Continue reading…
Twenty-one mental health patients who were part of the individuals transferred from Life Esidimeni healthcare facility to illegal NGOs are still missing.
In 2015, former Gauteng MEC of Health Qedani Mahlangu terminated a contract with the private hospital, saying it has become expensive to keep them there.
This resulted in 144 patients losing their lives.
The Democratic Alliance’s Jack Bloom says it is worrying that they have not been found after they have been missing for so long.
“The MEC for health has said that the Special Investigating Unit has been brought in to investigate. I think this is very good because some of these patients could’ve died at these NGOs and be secretly buried.”
Meanwhile, the spokesperson of the Gauteng MEC, Lesemang Matuka, says the department is concerned and it is pleading with the public to assist them in finding the patients.
“We once again call on the members of our communities or anyone who might have infor Continue reading…
The Mpumalanga health department on Tuesday said it launched an internal investigation into the deaths of two babies, who died at Shongwe Hospital in Nkomazi after they were born prematurely.
Department spokesperson Dumisani Malamule told the African News Agency (ANA) that the babies died on Monday night.
“There were suspicions at the beginning that the babies died due to a lack of oxygen, but we called in a company which established that the oxygen was enough,” said Malamule.
“The babies died in a ward of babies who were born prematurely and no one has been suspended. The outcome of the investigation will give us an idea on whether an action must be taken. If the investigation reveals that the deaths were due to a human error, a criminal case will also be opened with the police.”
Malamule could not immediately reveal the ages of the dead babies nor disclose whether they were twins. He said the member of the executive council (MEC) for health, Sasek Continue reading…
A report by organisations collaborating under the umbrella of the People’s Health Movement South Africa was submitted to the UN Committee on Cultural, Economic and Social Rights (ICESER), interrogating, among other things the flaws and pitfalls of the country’s National Health Insurance (NHI) proposal.
“The international human rights system does not have the teeth of a legal process but it is quite powerful if the committee recommends, for example, stronger oversight over mental health services, or greater resources. So, we are interested in what their recommendations will be based on their interrogation of the report,” one of the authors, Professor Leslie London from the School of Public Health and Family Medicine at UCT says.
About a third of the health movement’s report focused on the National Health Insurance (NHI) proposal. Areas of concern flagged include the absence of any reference to preventative health; capacity and resourc Continue reading…
The Gauteng Department of Health held disciplinary hearings in connection with 111 incidents where employment was offered for sale at the Bheki Mlangeni Hospital in Soweto.
Jack Bloom, DA’s spokesperson for health in Gauteng, said the shocking announcement was made in Gauteng by Ms. Gwen Ramokgopa in response to a question Bloom had addressed to her on Tuesday.
“She [Ramokgopa] said trade unions contributed to the announcement of this job scam and that the case was handed over to the Hawks for further investigation. Cases have also been filed with police over employees who have received money under the false pretense that they can get jobs at the hospital, “Bloom said in a statement.
According to Bloom, 111 cases, with the exception of eight, have already been finalized. It resulted in 98 employees being suspended, one employer being demote, a few dismissals and a resignation.
“The situation was so bad that an assassin had been hired to kill the head of the Continue reading…
Die Nasionale Instituut vir Oordraagbare Siektes (Nios) het Maandag gewaarsku dat Suid-Afrikaners bedag moet wees op ’n malaria-risiko, veral in die noordelike dele van die land wat nou die somerreënseisoen binnegaan.
“Ongelukkig het ons nog nie die laaste van malaria in Suid-Afrika beleef nie wat volgens alle aanduidings ’n terugkeer maak,” sê dr. Peter Vincent van Netcare se reis-klinieke. Volgens Vincent is daar onlangs malariagevalle aangemeld in plekke waar vroeër geglo is malaria uitgewis is, soos die Waterberg-distrik in die noord-oostelike deel van Limpopo.
Hy benadruk dat die reënseisoen in die noordelike dele van die land aanleiding gee tot die toename in gevalle van malaria. “Die risiko is die hoogste tussen September en Mei wat al voorheen as die malaria-seisoen bestempel is.
“Maak seker dat jy weet waar die geaffekteerde gebiede is en watter tipe voorsorgmaatreëls nodig is. Malaria word aangetref in die noordelike dele van Limpopo Continue reading…
Amper 29 dae nadat Kobus Cronje (58) dood is, lê sy lyk nog in die staatslykhuis van die Tygerberg-hospitaal terwyl sy vrou, Nina, hom ’n waardige begrafnis wil gee.
Maar die forensiese patologiediens van die Wes-Kaapse departement van gesondheid wag vir mediese verslae van die laaste hospitaal waar Cronje behandel is, sê Robert Daniels, ’n woordvoerder van die departement.
Cronje, van Hermanus, was op 10 September in ’n ernstige motorfietsongeluk. Hy is aanvanklik in die MediClinic Vergelegen-hospitaal opgeneem, waar hy verskeie operasies ondergaan het. Hy is van daar af na die Busamed Paardevlei-hospitaal oorgeplaas, waar hy nog operasies moes ondergaan.
Op 13 September het hy ’n bloedklont ontwikkel en is hy in die hospitaal dood.
Daniels sê Cronje se lyk is eers tien dae ná sy dood na die forensiese patologiediens verwys. Dié afdeling het ’n groot werklas, maar dit is volgens hom nie die enigste rede hoekom daar nog nie ’n lykskouing gehou is nie.
Deputy President David Mabuza has announced that government will prioritise the upgrading and maintenance of health infrastructure in an effort to deal with the challenge of ageing and dilapidated infrastructure in public health facilities.
Mabuza made the remark while highlighting the outcomes of the two-day Presidential Health Summit held in Boksburg.
During the summit, Mabuza said, it was agreed that in the context of fiscal constraints, provinces will be expected to prioritise their financial resource allocations in a manner that ensures that the delivery of health care is not compromised.
“More importantly, this summit pointed out that we need to develop a sustainable financing model for our health system. We will commence with this task immediately.
“National Treasury will be seized with this task to ensure that this model is finalised within a short space of time.
“As we lay a solid foundation for the implementation of the NHI, government wi Continue reading…
A group of residents in Helenvale, Port Elizabeth, shut down their local clinic on Wednesday fearing for the safety of staff and patients after ongoing gang activity in the area.
Community members say Helenvale Clinic has been repeatedly targeted by criminals, who recently stole the air-conditioner.
As a result, the Helenvale Clinic committee decided to temporarily close the clinic and move equipment to Malabar Clinic, about three kilometres away.
“We had to take this decision after recent events that involved ongoing serious crime and shootings around the clinic,” said a member of the Helenvale Clinic committee, who asked not to be named for fear of being targeted. She said staff morale is low and that the six nurses who work at the clinic are overburdened and fearful.
“We were given permission by the Eastern Cape Health Department to use the premises at Malabar Clinic as a temporary measure,” she said.