The Western Cape boasts the top hospitals in the country, followed by Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
See names of hospitals that have been included in the top 20 over the last three years.
This is according to the latest results of Discovery Health Patient Survey Score (PaSS) survey, which is based on patient experience scores.
Out of the top 20 hospitals for 2016, eight are located in the Western Cape with four in Gauteng and three in KwaZulu-Natal. The Free State and Mpumalanga have two each and the North West has one hospital in the top 20. Overall, 136 hospitals were included in the analysis of patient experience scores.
Dr Roshini Moodley Naidoo, head of Quality of Care at Discovery Health, says in general they find that hospitals are increasingly meeting higher patient expectations and needs since the survey was launched three years ago.
“Since publication of the survey scores, we are observing positive changes in how care is experienced by patients.”
To collect patient feedback on the experience of care in hospital, adult members of Discovery Health Medical Scheme are surveyed after their discharge from hospital.
The survey covers questions such as how well pain was managed, the preparation of patients for care following discharge, and whether patients experienced communication from healthcare providers as respectful and easy to understand.
Since 2014 it shows a steady improvement in patient scores across survey categories such as information about care following discharge.
Naidoo says the analysis considers factors that hospitals cannot reasonably control such as the nature of illness and the age and gender of patients.
“Measuring quality of care, including patient experience, is standard practice in healthcare systems around the world. Healthcare systems that value and enable best quality of care are known to reduce unnecessary costs and offer improved health outcomes for patients.”
Hospitals that have stayed in the top 20 over the last three years are the Ethekwini Hospital And Heart Centre, Hillcrest Private Hospital, Lowveld Hospital, Mediclinic Milnerton, Mediclinic, Mediclinic Stellenbosch, Midvaal Private Hospital, Gauteng Wilmed Park Private Hospital and the Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital.
The PaSS Top 20 hospitals in 2016, across all size categories (alphabetical order):
- Cormed Clinic – Gauteng
- Ethekwini Hospital And Heart Centre – KZN
- Gateway Private Hospital – KZN
- Hillcrest Private Hospital – KZN
- Life Bay View Private Hospital – Western Cape
- Life Rosepark Hospital – Free State
- Lowveld Hospital – – MP
- Mediclinic Cape Gate – Western Cape
- Mediclinic Ermelo – MP
- Mediclinic George – Western Cape
- Mediclinic Hoogland – Free State
- Mediclinic Louis Leipoldt – Western Cape
- Mediclinic Milnerton — Western Cape
- Mediclinic Panorama — Western Cape
- Mediclinic Stellenbosch — Western Cape
- Midvaal Private Hospital – Gauteng
- Netcare Jakaranda Hospital – Gauteng
- Netcare N1 City Hospital – Western Cape
- Wilmed Park Private Hospital – North West
- Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital – Gauteng
Source: The Citizen
Author: Letitia Watson